Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Running Back Thomas Committs to Ole Miss



Devin Thomas (RB, San Antonio, TX) - The Army All-American selection and Scout.com's #1 rated prospect in south Texas built a tight relationship with several of the newly hired Ole Miss coaches, and in the end, that bond could not be broken.
"I just can not imagine being without Coaches Vaughn, Nutt and those guys," stated Devin Thomas. "It would not even feel right playing for anyone else. Coach Vaughn is like blood to me. I know they are going to look after my best interests during my college career at Ole Miss."There were also several more selling points that tilted Devin towards Ole Miss."I liked their facilities, and I have known their staff for a long time. When I took my trip to Baylor. They showed up at my house on Monday. I knew how busy they were with recruiting, so that showed me they wanted me. And Coach Vaughn called my coach on Saturday while I was at Baylor. He was checking up on me, seeing how much I liked it at Baylor. I know how busy they are with all of the prospects in town during the weekends, so I knew that they just had to have me."The commitment went public today, but the verbal was given over a week ago."Yes sir, I committed to them on that Monday when they came and saw me. I wanted to keep it quiet until signing day, but I couldn't wait that long. I had to let every one know I am going to be an Ole Miss Rebel. I had to get it off of my chest. It feels good."Who else was in the picture before Thomas decided on Ole Miss?"I was suppose to visit TCU or Arizona State this past weekend, and I was going to go to Missouri or Kansas next weekend. But I informed all of them I was going to Ole Miss when I committed last Monday."Devin broke his ankle in the middle of a record breaking senior campaign. He rushed for 1, 477 yards and 17 TD's in five games of action which earned him a spot on the prestigious Army All-American roster even though he was injured. "I still think about what could have been, but oh well, I am just excited about my next chapter in life. My injury is coming around better than expected. I am ahead of schedule, and I am already running on it."Thomas began to make a name for himself when he rushed for over 1, 800 yards and 23 Td's as a junior. He ended his senior season on a high note when he almost single handily beat Smithson Valley, who had defeated Madison for five straight years, with a 374 yard and 4 TD rushing performance. Devin was named the National Player of the Week for his performance."I guess you can say I left on a high note, but a disappointing note nevertheless."The former Arkansas commit is now headed to another school within the SEC."Like I said, it is just a perfect fit for me. You know how I feel about their coaches, and when I went on my official visit, I just fell in love with the area. The people, students

No comments: