Monday, January 8, 2007

Good Morning, Tiger Fans. I hope that all of you enjoy the BCS national championship game tonight. I will be pulling for Florida, but I believe Ohio State will win a close game. The final polls for the 2006 season will come out Tuesday and it is going to be very interesting to see where LSU finishes in the polls. In my opinion, LSU should not finish any lower than No. 3, but I have seen stranger things happen. In LSU football news, JaMarcus Russell will hold a press conference Wednesday morning to announce that he is going to bypass his senior season at LSU and go pro. Russell has made the most improvement from one year to the next of any college player I have been following in my many years of following LSU football. After his strong performance in the Sugar Bowl, Russell will likely be the first player taken in the draft by Oakland. Jimbo Fisher deserves a lots of credit for developing Russell. The hot topic of discussion the next four weeks will be high school football recruiting. Coach Les Miles picked up two huge commitments over the weekend at the Army All-Star game in Luther Davis (defensive lineman from West Monroe) and Joseph Barksdale (defensive tackle from Detroit, Michigan, who is the No. 1 ranked player in the state of Michigan). At this time, LSU is sitting on 22 commitments counting Gabriel Bryant who has grade problems and might not be eligible to sign with a four-year school. Coach Les Miles will probably sign up to 27 or 28 players and has a great chance at finishing in the top five in recruiting if he finishes strongly. Below are a short list of players who the Tigers are still recruiting and my odds on the players signing with LSU. I am sure there are five to 10 more players that LSU is recruiting that I do not know about. Joe McKnight, (RB), 5’11”, 195, John Curtis, 60-40, LSU-USCWill Blackwell, (DE/OL) 6’4”, 290, West Monroe, 60-40, LSU-Notre DameChad Jones, (SS), 6’2”, 210 Southern Lab, 60-40, LSU-USCSteffon Francois, (SS), 6’3”, 215, 60-40, LSU-Arkansas-AlabamaJason Peters, (DE/TE), 6’2”, 260, Catholic BR, 70-30 if offered, LSU-GA TechTerrance Tolliver, (WR), 6’5”, 185, Hemstead, Texas, 50-50, LSU-FloridaRon Brooks, (WR), 5’11”, 180, Irving Texas, 70-30 if LSU has room Christian Scott, (DB), 6’1”, 190, Dallas Skyline, 30-70, OU-Texas-LSULonnie Edward, (OL), 6’5”, 310, Brownsboro, Texas, 80-20 if offered Rishaw Johnson, (OL), 6’5”, 300, Hammonds, 70-30 if offered, LSU-Ole MissCameron Hayward, (DL), 6’6”, 320, Atlanta, GA, 30-70 There is nothing new to report on coaching changes at LSU. As reported in my Sunday morning update, Stacy Searels has accepted a coaching job at Georgia coaching the offensive line. After announcing that Searels was leaving, Coach Miles said he would move quickly in finding a replacement. According to one of my very reliable sources for information, Miles interviewed Chris Scelfo Saturday afternoon. Scelfo was recently fired at Tulane. Scelfo went to Tulane from Georgia. If my memory is correct, Scelfo coached the offensive line at Georgia. I feel certain that Miles will interview a few more candidates for the job later this week. There is nothing new to report on Jimbo Fisher, but the Louisville job came open last night and Fisher will likely be a candidate for it. My guess is that Fisher will remain at LSU because of the amount of money he is making and because of a great chance at winning a national title in 2007. Today I will start posting my top 100 prospects for the 2008 signing class. I will post No. 50 down to No. 40 today, and each day after I will post five spots per day. I am sure that I will overlook a few in-state players and as soon as I learn of prospects who I do not have on the list I will add their names as a tie at a certain number. I think the list is going to be very good. I welcome your input, especially input from coaches who have seen players on my list play. I want to remind everyone that my top prospect list is not an LSU list, and I have not spoken to any coaches concerning my list. I post a top 100 list each year as a labor of love for high school football and recruiting. No. 50 Don Brown, (FB), 5’11”, 235, West MonroeNo. 49 Geanie Lyons, (DT), 6’3”, 330, Bastrop No. 48 Alfred Williams, (CB/S), 6’2”, 176, KentwoodNo. 47 Tripp George, (SS), 6’0”, 180 Lloya College, Shreve.No. 46 Jordan Miller, (CB), 6’1”, 180, Teurlings Catholic No. 45 Dyron Hart, (DT) 6'2", 280, SlidellNo. 44 Michael Carvajal, (DT), 6’1”, 290, AcadianaNo. 43 Blaine Gautier, (QB), 6’1”, 185, LutcherNo. 42 Ryan ST Julien, (DB), 6’1”, 180, Catholic NINo. 41 Joe Dave Petijean, (RB), 6’1”, 200, Notre Dame No. 40 Trent Kropog, (DL), 6’2”, 290, Brother Martin In basketball news, Glen Davis was in a minor automobile accident Saturday night after the LSU will over UCONN, but according to John Brady he will be able to play Tuesday night at Alabama. In women's basketball news, the LSU Lady Tigers defeated Georgia 57-55 yesterday in a hard fought game. The Lady Tigers came out came out ice cold and fell behind 18-4 in the first half before going on a 14-0 run to tie the game at 18-18. LSU led 27-22 at half time and led by as many as nine points in the second half before Georgia went on a 20-6 run to lead 53-48 with 3:52 to play in the game. LSU scored five unanswered points the next minute to tie the game at 53-53. The game was tied 55-55 when Sylvia Fowles hit her only basket of the second half with under a minute to play and won the game for the Lady Tigers. Fowles led LSU in scoring with 21 points. Quintella Chaney scored 15 points. Allison Hightower scored 12 points off the bench. A crowd of 7,666 attended the game.

No comments: