Monday, February 5, 2007

Two new Committments to LSU Over the Weekend

East St. John safety Stefoin Francois has committed to LSU, according to Advocate sportswriter William Weathers.
Francois (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) chose the Tigers over Florida State. He is ranking No. 63 in the Rivals 100 list and is the nation's sixth-rated safety by Rivals.com.
Defensive end Sidell Corley of Mobile’s McGill-Toolen High said the profile of LSU’s football program had reached a new level in his hometown because of the exploits of former LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell and senior cornerback Chevis Jackson.
“In Mobile we look at LSU as almost a state school,” Corley said Sunday. “That’s what JaMarcus and Chevis have done, with them both being from here.”
In that case Corley, regarded as the nation’s fourth-best defensive end by Rivals.com, became the latest product of Mobile to stay “home” after the 6-foot-4, 260-pounder committed to the Tigers following a weekend visit.
“I just felt comfortable at LSU, like I was a home,” Corley said. “I just liked being around (LSU) coach (Les) Miles and the rest of the staff. They needed me, they didn’t just want me. There was a big need at the position, so that opened my eyes.
“As far as academics, they have the best support system and the best facilities for academics,” said Corley, who is academically qualified. “If you don’t graduate from LSU then you must not want to graduate.”
Corley, who previously committed to Florida, chose LSU over Tennessee, Alabama and Oklahoma. His pledge gives LSU a total of 23 commitments three days before the start of the national signing period with the Tigers still waiting on decisions from John Curtis running back Joe McKnight, Southern Lab safety Chad Jones and East St. John safety Stefoin Francois — all of whom have indicated they will make their choices public Wednesday.
Corley, who joined teammate Phelon Jones as LSU commitments, recalled vividly his first trip to LSU’s Tiger Stadium, watching the Tigers pull away and defeat Alabama 28-14 in November.
“I left with a headache,” he said, in reference to the electric crowd’s high decibel level.
It was during that period when Corley was committed to Florida, but that didn’t deter LSU’s coaches from staying in touch with Corley during the recruiting process. The Tigers staff then stepped up their efforts over the past two weeks in hopes of landing Corley’s services after learning he was no longer committed to Florida.
“They were getting more guys than they told me they were going to get,” Corley said of his reason to de-commit. “They told me they were taking four ends and another guy committed and they accepted his commitment.
“I’ve always liked LSU,” Corley said. “They respected my commitment. They were on me hard and then when I committed they eased off, but they still talked to me. Then when I de-committed they got on me hard again. Everything’s for a reason. I prayed on my decision. I feel like everything’s for a reason.”
Corley enjoyed a productive final two seasons for McGill-Toolen, which reached the third round of the Class 6A state playoffs for the first time in 2006. He has 101 tackles and 12 sacks last season after compiling 80 tackles and eight sacks as a junior.
Corley is a Rivals 100 member and is rated as the state’s third best player by that recruiting service.
“Basically they showed me where I fit into the program,” Corley said.
“A lot of schools told me that LSU was loaded (at defensive end), so I had to see for myself. I looked at the depth chart and it’s a perfect fit for me. It’s three hours from home where my parents can be at every LSU home and the atmosphere is crazy. I can’t wait to play in front of that crowd.”

No comments: